How to Make Lip Gloss
How many times have you gone into the store looking for the perfect gloss only to come home and find it isn’t at all what you thought it was? Or perhaps you tried one before you bought it and were willing to pay a hefty price for it, only to find out you went through way to fast. Homemade lip gloss is the perfect solution. You can experiment to your heart’s content until you come up with the perfect combination. Homemade balm is an ideal gift for special occasions such as Christmas. Below is a simple recipe that you can experiment with by adding different flavors. The main ingredient is beeswax, which is a natural wax produced by honeybees.
Here is a wonderful homemade recipe for lip gloss that I have used with success:
• 1 tablespoon of beeswax
• 2 tablespoons of castor oil
• 1 teaspoon of honey
• 1 Vitamin E capsule
• 2 drops of carrot seed essential oil
1. Place the oil and wax in a heatproof cup (such as a heavy glass measuring cup.) Poke a hole in the Vitamin E capsule and squeeze its liquid into the oil and wax mixture.
2. Place the heatproof cup in a pot of water on the stove and heat on low just until the wax melts. Remove immediately from heat.
3. Pour the liquid into a small screw-cap jar or lip balm jar or tube. Allow to cool (it will solidify) before using.
4. If you want to add different flavors into your lip balm mixture, separate them into the different glass containers and then add the flavors you want such as orange, lemon and peppermint. Don’t worry if the mixture starts to harden, just place them back in the heat or a microwave to re-melt.
For a glossy, moisturizing look and feel use petroleum for the base
- For added protection from the weather use a beeswax base
- Melt either in the microwave heating in 10 second intervals. Be careful not to overheat.
- Use clean, sterile containers for mixing and storage
It is possible to make lip balm that can be great for your lips. Many times it will give better results than the expensive balms bought in the marketplace because you can experiment with the recipes to achieve what you feel is best. These balms contain all-natural ingredients with a list of butters: shea, cocoa, etc. You may make them citrus-scented; in short you have many options.